what options are available for birth control?
A doctor may prescribe one of ten different birth control options depending on your needs and what will work best for you. If the doctor prescribes one of these birth control options, you can have that prescription fulfilled at a pharmacy of your choice.
Pharmacies get pills from different suppliers. To try to ensure that you get your prescription in a timely manner, a pharmacy will usually go with the supplier that has product in stock at the time it is needed. Depending on the supplier of your birth control, pills may come in a different colour, shape, or markings. Below are the varieties of birth control which may be prescribed, along with any acceptable variations the pharmacy may use to fulfill the prescription.
- May also be fulfilled as: Tri-Lo Marzia, Ortho-Tri Cyclen Lo, Tri-Lo Estarylla, Trinessa Lo
- May also be fulfilled as: Sprintec, Mono-Linyah, Previfem, Estarylla, Femynor, Mononessa, Mili
Norethindrone (safe for breastfeeding women)
- May also be fulfilled as: Lyza, Heather, Sharobel, Deblitane, Camila, Nora-Be, Norlyda, Errin, Joviette, Jencycla, Micronor, Nor-QD
- May also be fulfilled as: Gianvi, Vestura, Nikki, Loryna
- May also be fulfilled as: Vienva, Orsythia, Aubra, Aviane, Larissa, Falmina, Alesse, Delyla
Loestrin FE 1/20
- May also be fulfilled as: Tarina FE 1/20, Blisovi FE 1/20, Larin FE 1/20, Junel FE 1/20, Gildess FE 1/20, Microgestin FE 1/20
Loestrin FE 1.5/30
- May also be fulfilled as: Junel FE 1.5/30, Blisovi FE 1.5/30, Gildess FE 1.5/30, Microgestin FE 1.5/30, Aurovela FE 1.5/30, Hailey FE 1.5/30, Larin FE 1.5/30
- May also be fulfilled as: Syeda, Ocella, Zarah
- May also be fulfilled as: Larn 1/20, Microgestin 1/20, Junel 1/20, Gildess 1/20
- May also be fulfilled as: Junel 1.5/30, Larin 1.5/30, Microgestin 1.5/30, Gildess 1.5/30
i placed an order, how does this work?
Since this treatment is a prescription medication, after you place your requested order you will be prompted to complete a medical assessment and complete an online visit with a doctor. From there they will let you know if they recommend treatment. you can find more info about the independent doctors accessible through our platform and care delivery here.
who can take this medication?
This is a prescription medication and can only be purchased if you have completed an online visit with a physician and the physician has written a prescription for this product. Birth control available through hers is only for women and only recommended for patients aged 18-50. For more specific restrictions or medical advice, please consult with your doctor using our secure messaging platform.
what’s the recommended dosage?
For all questions related to your rx prescription, please consult with your doctor using our secure messaging platform, or contact the pharmacy directly to speak to your pharmacist. You can find their contact information on your bottle or packs.
how do I take it?
all birth control options above are oral contraceptives, typically ingested as one pill per day. please check your prescription for instructions.
what are the potential side-effects?
Common side effects:
Nausea, breast tenderness, bloating, and mood changes. These typically improve within two to three months without treatment.
Bleeding between periods – Irregular bleeding, also called "breakthrough bleeding" or "spotting," is particularly common during the first few months of taking the pill. It almost always resolves without any treatment within two to three months. Forgetting a pill can also cause breakthrough bleeding.
Taking birth control pills does NOT cause weight gain.
Less common side-effects (serious - if you are experiencing any of the folllowing, please discontinue use immediately and call 9-1-1 or head to your nearest hospital):
abdominal pain, chest pain, severe headaches, eye problems, or severe leg pain. These could be symptoms of several serious conditions including heart attack, blood clot, stroke, and liver or gallbladder disease.
You can find more info about birth control, like how these products works and what you can expect, here.